Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Face(book)less for 40 Days

Hi. My name is Amanda. I'm addicteed to Facebook.

The idea started last year during Lent. It struck me like a bolt of lightning when someone else's cell phone ewent off during Mass. I turned to my (then) fiance and said, "Facebook!" The birth of the ultimate sacrifice. And that was before I considered myself an addict.

Why? With social media booming, why?

Isn't the purpose of Lent to sacrifice a pleasure. Now, I'm not super religious. But c'mon, Jesus Christ gave us his life. I will honor his ultimate sacrifice with my own.

The whole Facebook thing is really THE ULTIMATE sacrifice? Um, yea. Do you have any idea how much I'm on the Book? Let me explain. If you're my "friend" on Facebook and you posted a picture in the past year, I saw it. If you're my "friend" on Facebook and you posted lyrics to a song I know or an article I agree with, I "liked" it. If you're a "friend" on Facebook and re-posted information about a lost dog in another city, state, or country, I re-posted. If you're a "friend" on Facebook and post any status update, any link or changed you're relationships status or job, I saw and I remember it all as if we sat together in the lunchroom every day.

Is my obsession sinking in yet?

Let's just agree to this: giving up Facebook... or untraining my fingers to type "www.facebook.com" every time I open Windows Explorer and clicking the Droid Facebook app... is going to be difficult. And for the next 40 days, it seems my dogs Lucille Puppy and Budrick Houdini will be giving up Facebook too: I won't be logging into their accounts either.

And that last comment is a key statement to reinforce the fact that I, Amanda, am addicted to Facebook.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.7

No comments:

Post a Comment